Over the next six years, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation will invest nearly $500 million in Interstate 70 construction from the West Virginia border to the New Stanton Interchange. Currently, there are 12 active projects, seven of which are under construction. Those projects will provide improvements to 8 interchanges/ramps, 6 bridge replacements or reconstructions, and miles of improved roadway and upgrades to the interstates intelligent transportation systems.
"We are committed to providing increased safety and mobility to the users of I-70"
On behalf of the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) Engineering District 12, I am pleased to share the Interstate-70 Projects website as a source of information to commuters, travelers, truckers and surrounding communities. The goal of the website is to provide users with a single source to gauge status of our efforts to modernize and maintain I-70 as improvement projects are planned, designed and constructed.
PennDOT District 12 is responsible for the design, construction and maintenance of I-70 from the West Virginia state line east to New Stanton, PA (Exit 57). Much of the corridor was originally designed and built more than 55 years ago, and therefore we are planning many future improvements to meet modern traffic needs, particularly the stretch of I-70 between Washington and New Stanton. We are committed to providing increased safety and mobility to the users of I-70.
I encourage you to explore the entire website to learn more about the individual projects, upcoming public meetings/events, the project development process and our overall vision for the future of I-70.Thanks!
Joseph Szczur, P.E.
PennDOT District 12
Like most of our National Interstate System, parts of I-70 are reaching their life expectancy and are not adequate for today's transportation needs. PennDOT plans to reconstruct, rehabilitate, and perform pavement preservation on large sections of I-70.
Over 50 million dollars will be spent during the next 6 years to reconstruct or rehabilitate I-70 bridges. Improvements will include:
- Addressing all structurally deficient bridges and
- Addressing all bridges with less than a 16.6 feet under clearance
ITS improvements to I-70 include:
- Dynamic message signs to provide timely, advance information to motorists about traffic accidents, adverse weather conditions, construction, detours, and lane closures (in addition to other safety messages).
- Highway Advisory Radio to provide timely traffic and safety related information via dedicated radio frequency.
- Closed circuit camera and monitoring to provide real-time information to motorists.
250 million dollars will be invested to improve I-70 interchanges, including:
- Significant improvements to 8 interchanges will occur
- Safety improvements to other interchanges will be made along the corridor.
Public Plans Display for Interstate 70 / Route 31 Interchange...
Public Plans Display for Interstate 70 between Beau St & Interstate 79...
Public Plans Display for Interstate 70 Widening...
Public Plans Display for Interstate 70/Bentleyville Interchange...